This original nautical map of the New Bedford Harbor, Mass., dated 1893, was executed by the Corp of Engineers and shows the harbor with proposed channel work. There is an inset in the lower left corner of Buzzard’s Bay including the Elizabeth Islands and Martha’s Vineyard. This group of Army engineering officers was first appointed during the American Revolution by George Washington and then became a separate permanent branch of the Army in 1802. They constructed lighthouses, helped develop jetties and piers for harbors and mapped channels for navigational purposes. The map is tinted and in good condition. The framing is done to conservation standards with an attractive burl wood frame.