This original nautical map of the Harbor of Refuge Vineyard Haven, dated 1887, was executed by the Corp of Engineers and shows the plan for a breakwater. This group of Army engineering officers were first appointed during the American Revolution by George Washington and then became a separate permanent branch of the Army in 1802. They constructed lighthouses, helped develop jetties and piers for harbors and mapped channels for navigational purposes. The map is tinted and in good condition. The framing is done to conservation standards with an attractive burl wood frame.