This original nautical map of Flushing Bay, dated 1889, was executed by the Corp of Engineers. This group of Army engineering officers was first appointed during the American Revolution by George Washington and then became a separate permanent branch of the Army in 1802. They constructed lighthouses, helped develop jetties and piers for harbors and mapped channels for navigational purposes. The map is tinted and in good condition. The framing is done to conservation standards with an attractive burl wood frame.