This original map of Plymouth Harbor, dated 1885-86, is from the United States Geological Survey. The USGS was created, by a last-minute amendment, to an act of Congress on March 3, 1879. It was charged with the classification of the public lands and examination of the geological structure, mineral resources, and products of the national domain. This task was driven by the need to inventory the vast lands added to the United States by the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 and the Mexican-American War in 1848. This map shows the Plymouth area, including Kingston to the north and Sandwich to the south. The Old Colony Railroad Line is shown, as well as, the roads, rivers, ponds and other geological points of interest. This map is in good condition. The framing is done to conservation standards with an attractive burl wood frame.