This original nautical map of the Mystic River, Connecticut, dated 1893, shows the progress of improvements in the area and the dredging to be done, and was executed by the Corp of Engineers. This group of Army engineering officers was first appointed during the American Revolution by George Washington and then became a separate permanent branch of the Army in 1802. They constructed lighthouses, help develop jetties and piers for harbors and mapped channels for navigational purposes. This map is tinted and in good condition. The framing is done to conservation standards with an attractive burl wood frame.